Q& Your: THE COLLEGE PREPARE PROCESS A week ago, I was a new guest in #CollegeCash support on Forums discussing faculty preparation the online assets that are available for parents and pupils. Since certainly not everyone can go these fauve or is active on Flickr, I thought it may be nice to express the thoughts and answers here on my blog.
Question: While do families start the college prep practice?
- Ideally make sure you start discussing with your pupil about the associated with an education whenever they start college and amplifier it up with middle university.
- 9th quality students really should pay close attention to study course selection locating AP is in classes, mathematics and discipline.
- 9th graders should also check for that AN INDIVIDUAL extracurricular hobby to concentrate on within high school.
Subject: What do there is as the parent’s role within the college cooking process?
- Dads and moms should allow the student ‘drive the car’ but complement as a passenger/guide
- Parents can certainly help with relationship and gentle alarms regarding deadlines
- Parents need to be there with regard to advice, help and inquiries but have a tendency take control of the process
Question: What precisely online resources do you endorse for comparing colleges side-by-side?
- I love Zinch because you can create a profile, examine colleges to get matched w/colleges and free college funding http://www.zinch.com
- You should use the College Board’s tool in order to colleges additionally http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp
- Even more sites are: http://www.collegeview.com/index.jsp & http://www.collegexpress.com/ & http://www.cappex.com & http://www.collegeconfidential.com
Question: What on the internet tools equipment recommend for test prepare?
- For words prep, @sheldonwordnerd has the GREATEST online software available http://www.word-nerd.com
- Practice assessments are necessary so benefit from them internet here http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice & http://www.number2.com/ & http://www.actstudent.org/testprep/index.html
- Read their particular blogs & follow at Twitter: @elizabethonline @akilbello@sheldonwordnerd @preppedpolished @PWNtheSAT@staceyhowelott
Question: What on the web tools does one recommend to get financial aid?
- The main definitive web site for educational funding info can be http://www.finaid.org/
- Not surprisingly ALL moms and dads should finished the FAFSA http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ to be approved for grants
- Saving for University provides moms and dads with all the information on financial aid http://www.savingforcollege.com/ & allows you to compare enough cash plans
Issue: What online learning resources do you suggest for college or university visit preparing?
- Visit institution websites to see video trips and information relevant to each individual faculty
- @collegevisit has all the equipment you need to approach, organize and prepare for college visits http://www.smartcollegevisit.com
- Before the check out you can check over @YOUniversity is the reason virtual university tours and in many cases hear from learners http://www.youniversitytv how to write an intro for an argumentative essay.com/
Issue: What on-line tools will you recommend to assist with the go?
- @vcollegeadvisor has some great dissertation tips via video http://www.youtube.com/user/PreCollegeCoach#p/a/u/0/Ago6tIEnL0g
- @collegebasics gives you some good tips about different essay or dissertation topics http://www.collegebasics.com/applying-to-college/admissions-essays/
- @butwait supplies a pocket composition editor connected with 13 guidelines https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=ah89knd3kmzc_469cq94ghdq
- If you are looking for some actual individual essay illustrations, look the following http://www.teenink.com/college_guide/college_essays/
Subject: Where can you find information regarding individual faculty statistics?
- I like College Navigator because it is easy to view research and check http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
- Another resource for data and more will be CollegeData http://www.collegedata.com/
- The College Panel also offers one tool to research university information http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp
Question: Just what information can you share concerning Net Price Calculator?
- The net price calculators were mandated to help moms and dads and college students estimate the actual cost of university BEFORE applying
- Not all calculators are created equal; use them being a tool although don’t anticipate 100% reliability on charge estimates
- Colleges and universities are required to have them on their online sites but they are frequently hard to find; you have got to do quite a few digging
Subject: How can families be assured they are really getting EXPERT advice with regards to college and not just being scammed?
- I written a web log recently in regards to this topic https://www.parentingforcollege.com/2011/11/07/parents-beware-its-a-jungle-out-there/
- Some tips: investigate all of claims implementing Google; request about them working with social media; could they be associated w/other experts?
- Don’t believe claims unless backed up having facts and when it’s very good being true, the idea usually can be
EARLY UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE PREPARATION GIVE GOOD RESULT
I read two content and a article today in which underscored the need for starting the college preparation approach early:
Math on preschool
Will be 6th mark the key to help ending the main dropout unexpected?
The Ignored Middle (A College Willingness Report)
While I no longer advocate providing pressure students throughout grade class about higher education or making use of undue strain related to university preparation, there are several things that mom and dad can do to assure their trainees are prepared if the college decision-making time jobs around. A few suggestions:
- Promote your college student to read, learn and study a strong speech that you can merely get from examining will gain them all the way through high school and into institution; not to mention it may help with SAT/ACT testing in addition to essay processing.
- Make sure your school’s math and scientific research programs are generally up-to-par and therefore your scholar participates using a strong concentration in both subject matter these courses are crucial in your student’s fundamental thinking skill and their achieving success with challenging college programs.
- Tutor your learner to set goals and carry out steps to attain them if you start fast, you are looking for your college to be successful with high school, school and in daily life.
- In advance of entering your childhood, have a flirt with your teen around the importance of grades and academics success above the next several years their grades will be more than just emails on a document; they will figure out how colleges enjoy them and then the amount of advantage aid many people receive. Powerful academic efficiency = classes and scholarships.
- Assistance your pupil find his or her passion any non-academic activity/hobby/interest to follow, grow and excel all the way through school and beyond. This is exactly fun, public and ego-building, and educational institutions want to see this kind of, too. (Thanks to Wendy at POCSMomfor this added tip! )
All these may look like simple or obvious tips, but these few suggestions, in the event followed, can certainly put your company student in relation to college readiness and even higher education success. Impressive proactive raising a child can participate in a huge function in the institution admissions process.